Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Highlights of the Trip Thus Far

1. Meeting my advisor for an "early dinner" with "little alcohol" so we'd both be functional the next day. We figured we'd save the real fun until Thursday night. Then starting dinner at 9:30pm in a jazz club after having had 3 beers each waiting for his contact to meet us, splitting a *very* nice (and *very* expensive) bottle of Pinot Noir (provided by my advisor) and ending with double shots of Jack Daniels on the rocks and several clove cigarettes each before heading back sometime around midnight. He did not meet me for breakfast at 7am like we had agreed on... Good conversation though. Thanks for the awesome night, though less so for the next morning.

2. Getting hit by a car while walking with my advisor. It hit my arm, sending the box of mango juice I was holding flying and making quite a noise when the mirror snapped back. I hardly felt anything, though and so could be bad-ass in front of everyone by just picking up my juice and continuing on. The mark was gone by the evening. The minivan never even stopped.

3. Riding ojaks. Yeah, they're dangerous and I'm generally using cabbies, but in rush hour it takes 1/3rd as long to get across town and is so much more fun. They even have helmets for their passengers here. Crazy.

4. Watching the sunrise over a hazy Jakarta.

5. Walking aimlessly around the city Monday evening.

6. Getting hit on by 3 very conservatively dressed teenage Muslim girls waiting in the Immigration Office. I totally tried to avoid it (I don't want to get anyone, including myself, in trouble) by ignoring their giggles and looks, but then one of them struck up a conversation with me. I didn't really flirt back, but it was kind of funny. I could see that before I came in, they were playing the "what will you name your kid" game. None of the names looked like a name I'd want my kid named...

7. Watching Deal or No Deal, Indonesia version, in the Immigration Office. The woman wasn't even upset when she opened the 400 million case. She wound up knocking the top value (4 billion) off as the third case---leaving only the 2 lowest amounts left (500 and 1000). And, to add insult to injury, her case wound up to be the 500 rupiah. Enjoy your nickel, dumbass.

8. Realizing that while Law & Order isn't always on in Indonesia, apparently Mythbusters is.

9. Realizing that I may eventually actually get into the forest to do research.

No comments: